Sluiten
X

• Filter
  • Tijd
  • Tonen
Clear All
nieuwe berichten

• Stars of Europe (2002): betekenis

Stars of Europe bestaat uit 35 sterren: 12 grote en 23 kleine, die tezamen de economische (en deels bestuurlijke) eenwording van Europa symboliseren.

De grote sterren verwijzen naar de twaalf landen die tot 1991 de oorspronkelijke Europese Economische Gemeenschap [EEG] vormden. Dat waren in 1957 de zes oprichtende lidstaten van de EEG: België, (West-)Duitsland, Frankrijk, Italië, Luxemburg en Nederland. Zeventien jaar later kwamen daar Denemarken, Ierland en Groot-Brittanië bij (1973). In 1981 volgde Griekenland en in 1986 Portugal en Spanje. Toen waren er dus twaalf lidstaten. West-Duitsland werd in 1990 het verenigde Duitsland, maar dat veranderde niets aan het aantal leden.

De 23 kleine sterren verwijzen naar de nieuwe lidstaten die sinds het Verdrag van Maastricht en de oprichting van de Europese Unie [EU] (1991) erbij zijn gekomen. Tot nu toe zijn dat er 15, waarmee het totaal op 27 kwam (2007, zie hier). Van de 23 kleine sterren zijn er momenteel nog acht (8 ) niet 'bezet'. Dat betekent dat de EU in toekomende jaren nog acht landen kan toelaten voordat het kunstwerk moet worden uitgebreid.

Opmerking

• Stars of Europe (2002): 22 teksten

Aangezien noch de Stadsbibliotheek Maastricht, noch de Gemeente Maastricht of het Gouvernement enig idee had om welke teksten het gaat, heb ik mij tot Maura Biava gewend. Zij stuurde mij de onderstaande citaten en schrijft:

'Hereby you can find the texts that have been selected for the poles of the monument. I'm no longer sure about where they all precisely come from and in which languages they have been originally written in. I'm sorry about that.'

'The shared culture we have is the culture of the cities. I mean, it strikes me that Europe is essentially a constellation of cities which no other place on earth, no other civilization, not even the United States, has ever known. When you come to Europe, what strikes you immediately is the great diversity of all the cities, each one with its historical moment of grandeur, it’s historical past being engraved in stone and there to be admired, therefore, this is our sharing, this is what we have in common. We all of us have developed, and evolved from the cities, from the Italian cities and from the Flemish cities.'
      George Steiner

'A day will come when you, France, you, Russia, you, Italy, you, Germany, when all of you, all the nations of the continent, will inwardly be founded in a superior state of unity, yet without losing your particular qualities and your praiseworthy individual characteristic.'
      Victor Hugo

'European culture was been forged out of the complicated, contradictory synthesis of cultural plurality, the cultures of Hellenism, of Roman antiquity, of Hebraism, and that of Christianity.'
      Lutzler

'I see this united Europe as a place which, like a sort of organism, is going to form an outer skin around itself and within that outer skin, the present kind of skin which separates one nation state from another will suddenly become porous and they'll cease to matter. They are already becoming porous national boundaries, nation state frontiers are already fading away. The existing nation state is losing power, but power drains away in two directions - upwards to Brussels, or Strasbourg, or wherever it may be, but downwards also and that downwards movement is what interests me, because it’s going downwards to sub-nations and smaller units.'
      Neal Ascherson

'Whatever kind of European you are, whatever kind of Europe you wish, remember the past while shaping the future.'
      Hans van den Broek

'If I knew something that would be useful to myself, but detrimental to my family, I would cast it from my mind. If I knew something that was useful for to my family but detrimental to my country I would consider it criminal. If I knew something useful to Europe, but detrimental to humankind, I would also consider it a crime.'
      Montesquieu

'Take the different states of Europe. In fact, we cannot find a pair who weren’t at war at one time or another. The French and the British, the Poles and Germans, and so on...
      So there is memory which is a prison, which is regressive. But, on the other hand, we cannot do without the cultivation of the memory of our cultural achievements, and also of our suffering This brings me to the second element.
      We need a memory of the second order which is based on forgiving. And we cannot forgive if we have forgotten.'
      Paul Ricoeur

'In Europe, we are facing more and more a fragmentation of languages. Look at what is happening in Yugoslavia. Or in the former Soviet empire. Lithuania, Estonia and Croatia are becoming again official entities. If today we could think of a Europe with three, four, five languages, the Europe of tomorrow would have tens of different languages, each of them recognized in their own autonomy and dignity.
      So, the future of Europe is probably to acquire a sort of polylingual attitude. And there is in the universities, at present, an interesting prefiguration of this. It is the Erasmus project. I have always said that the most important feature of the Erasmus project is the sexual one. Because, what does it mean if every student is supposed in the future to spend one year at least in another country?
      It means a lot of mixed marriages. It means that the next generation will be largely bilingual, with a father and mother from different countries. That’s the best chance for Europe. '
      Umberto Eco

'I have always endeavoured to appreciate the best aspects of each country. I believe that this is more challenging, more difficult than simply criticizing. I think that criticism comes naturally to people, whereas appreciating differences is something that has to be developed. It is a little like appreciating the arts: it does not come easily at first, we need to know them fully in order to understand them and appreciate them.'
      Maura Biava

'I take this cosmopolitan idea of the Enlightenment very much to heart, and if there is hope for Europe, beyond the recent ethnic divisions that have broken out in Yugoslavia, Czechoslovakia, and in the Soviet Union etc. it is in this spirit of universalism. We must muve beyond nations, or archaisms, while also recognizing genuine particularities.'
      Julia Kristeva

'What is now happening is that cities are re-emerging, as it were, taking over from nations, and entering some sort of competition; I personally think this is good, quite sound and healthy, because it’s going to displace nations competition, which was so cruelly messy and bloody.'
      George Steiner

'If you draw a line from Porto in western Portugal to Leningrad, but certainly not to Moscow, you can go to something called a coffee-house, with newspapers from all over Europe, you can play chess, play dominoes, you can sit all day for the price of a cup of coffee or a glass of wine, talk, read, work.'
      George Steiner

'Europe’s task is not and no longer will be that of dominating the world, of spreading its idea of well-being and good, nor that of imposing or even imparting its own culture.
      The only sensible task for Europe in the next century is to be itself at its best, that is to say, to bring its best spiritual tradition back to life, thereby forging, in unity and creativity, a new way for the world to live in harmony.'
      Vaclav Havel

'Erasmus was the first European to be aware of being European. He detested only one thing in the world: the opposite of reason, that is, fanaticism.'
      Stefan Zweig

'There will be a leveling out of the historic cultural differences in the various European regions and countries, under the impact of technicalisation, computerization, and homogenization imposed by the bodies of the European Economic Community in Brussels.'
      Hans Magnus Enzenberger

'What we truly need is a militant humanism, a humanism that awakens to its own humanity, understanding how the principles of freedom, tolerance and uncertainty must not be devalued and defeated by an unashamed fanaticism.'
      Thomas Mann

'Europe’s spiritual, political and judicial foundations are multicultural in origin. These multicultural elements are based upon dialogue between majority and minority cultures.'
      Edgar Morin, Remi Brague and others.

'Sometimes identity resides in very small things. Instead of saying that the Western world was united by the sign of the handshake, I could actually, in the modern world, have said that it’s united by the suit, but I didn’t say the suit.
      It’s just that the idea of the handshake as a gesture of equality and alliance and friendship does seem to have begun in our part of the world. It was, of course, a sign of a pact, the joining of right hands, in Roman law. And it is in a way a symbol for Europe, because though it is offered in good faith, and has at times sealed pacts in good faith, it has also been tremendously betrayed.'
      Marina Warner

'There is a marvelous remark by the German poet Rilke, that at the end of a good marriage one has to become the loving guardian of the other’s solitude. I would say that at the end of an historic crisis one must become the loving guardian of one’s own mistakes.'
      George Steiner

'A sliver of the Milky Way, solar system, the continent and a sparkle of the existence. We think awareness exists. We discover fire, electricity, the merry gods. In poetry, Europe is our home.'
      Pentiholappa, Finland

'Europe has produced a series of cultural identities, which brought with themselves their own self-criticism, and I think that this is unique. Even Christianity encompassed its own critique.'
      Paul Ricoeur

'Whatever kind of European you are, whatever kind of Europe you wish, remember the past while shaping the future.'
      Hans van den Broek

Opmerking

• Stars of Europe: verplaatsen?

Over dit kunstwerk is elders op deze site gediscussieerd. De waardering ervoor lijkt niet zeer hoog te zijn. Dat zou kunnen veranderen bij verplaatsing van het 'monument', dat nu opeengepropt op een onbenaderbare locatie staat. Er bestaat een zekere concensus voor een locatie bij het Gouvernement: meer ruimte en politiek verantwoord: een Europa-monument op de locatie waar in Limburg de meeste europarlementariërs worden ontvangen. Maar of de gemeente zich daarin zou kunnen vinden?

Opmerking

• Stars of Europe - Den Haag en Brussel

De 'Stars' zijn ook aanwezig in het Maastrichtse wijkje in Madurodam (zie dit draadje) en op de schoorsteenmantel van de Brusselse campus van de Universiteit Maastricht (dit bericht).

Opmerking

• Dr Peter van der Krogt, werkzaam bij de Universiteit Utrecht, maakt door heel Nderland foto's van beelden van mensen en dieren en zoekt daar de bijbehorende informatie bij. In Maastricht is hij ook bezig geweest, maar nog lang niet klaar:
            http://www.vanderkrogt.net/standbeel...stricht&g=LI19
            Ik heb de in dit draadje al verzamelde gegevens niet langs die van Van der Krogt gelegd, maar misschien is er wel iets leuks te vinden.

Opmerking

• Oorspronkelijk geplaatst door El Loco Bekijk bericht
              De 'Stars' zijn ook aanwezig in het Maastrichtse wijkje in Madurodam (zie dit draadje) en op de schoorsteenmantel van de Brusselse campus van de Universiteit Maastricht (dit bericht).
              Ik heb de Stars eens wat beter bekeken. Een groot deel van de teksten is weggeschroeid of weggeregend. De vreemde stadsfiguur die vaak met een vracht onbegrijpelijke teksten in pidgin-Engels bij de rotonde rondhangt, heeft zijn bezit nu centraal tussen de palen geparkeerd, keurig overdekt met plastic tegen de regen.

Opmerking

• Oorspronkelijk geplaatst door SJEF † Bekijk bericht
                Het geheel is als boekwerk in 1983 uitgegeven onder de titel: Beeldig Maastricht; 89 pagina's.
                Alle beelden en beeldjes, monumentjes, fonteinen en kanonnen in Maastricht, historisch toegelicht en beschreven, met foto's.
                Auteur: Frans Boetskens.
                Niet meer verkrijgbaar; ook niet via het modern antiquariaat.
                Wel in te zien bij Centre C?ramique; vierde etage.
                Voor geïnteresseerden: het boek is op meerdere plaatsen verkrijgbaar; o.a. Slegte (vestiging Enschede dus even laten opsturen), Bovenste plank in de Rechtstraat, Coriovallum in Heerlen.

Opmerking

• Zoekend naar iets anders kwam ik deze site tegen met een lijst van beelden van Maastricht:
                  http://www.ondernemen.in/INFO_Lijst_..._in_Maastricht
                  Als bron wordt onder meer dit draadje van MO genoemd en zo is het cirkeltje dan rond.

Opmerking

• Ik dacht toch dat er geen reclame gemaakt mocht worden hier...?!
                    Being unstable & bitchy is all part of my mystique.

Opmerking

• Concur. Dit hoort thuis in de boekenrubriek en dan zonder de persoonlijke noot.

Opmerking

• Het gaat hier toch om beelden in Maastricht !!!
                        Wat zijn jullie kort door de bocht, alleen maar zeuren dat reclame niet mag.

Adieu, bekijk het maar. Nico.

Wat Hermanw schrijft,

Voor geïnteresseerden: het boek is op meerdere plaatsen verkrijgbaar; o.a. Slegte (vestiging Enschede dus even laten opsturen), Bovenste plank in de Rechtstraat, Coriovallum in Heerlen.

wat is dat dan?? Is dat geen reclame...

Opmerking

• Niet zo kwaad Nico. De aankondiging is er gewoon: hier.

Opmerking

• Dagblad De Limburger.

Gezien het belang van deze inventarisatie van kunstwerken in Maastricht en eerdere aankondigingen van bepaalde boeken binnen MO dit bericht. Reklame: ik vind van niet.

Opmerking

• Reclame?

Oorspronkelijk geplaatst door Breur Bekijk bericht
                              Gezien het belang van deze inventarisatie van kunstwerken in Maastricht en eerdere aankondigingen van bepaalde boeken binnen MO dit bericht. Reklame: ik vind van niet.
                              Nee, ik ook niet, Breur. Ik vind het reclame als je zelf iets commercieels op MO zet. Als een ander het doet ter attentie van de goegemeente, of als je zelf het bericht neutraal brengt, bv. "Uitgeverij Zus en Zo publiceert dan en dan deze uitgave...", heb ik er geen moeite mee. En ik hoop dat deze fotograaf nog vaak langs komt.

Opmerking

• Ik vind het ook wel wat "selectiefs" hebben m.b.t de opmerking dat Nico reclame maakt, of krijg deze indruk...
                                Naast het feit dat ik ruiterlijk toegeef dat de grens soms moeiljk te trekken is!
                                Maar ik hoor niemand van en op dit forum iets dergelijks zeggen als een bekend lid steeds maar weer naar haar eigen boek verwijst als bron ( overigens niks mis mee, zowel het boek als de verwijzing), maar in principe toch een vorm van sluikreclame, want dezelfde info is ook uit en in andere bronnen ( zie rubriek boeken over Maastricht) te vinden is...en die worden niet altijd vermeld...
                                Dus laten we niet roomser zijn dan de Paus ! Leven en laten leven

Opmerking

Bezig...
                                X